Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Larry P. Arnn's The Founders' Key

President of Hillsdale college, Larry Arnn, wrote The Founders' Key at a crucial time in American history. This book  is chalked full of the connection between the Deceleration and the Constitution. The book is a small book to begin with, but it is only part chapter book and part important papers form our history such as The Declaration of Independence, The Constitution, and a few selected federalist paper. This book is an excellent starting text for people just getting more involved in government knowledge. Dr. Arnn refers back to these 2 intricate documents and  shows how "man is placed in nature, above the beast and below God." (which I don't think could be better stated.) Dr. Arnn refers to  many events in American history and pulls them apart to show how it is all related. My favorite being the information about "limited government" actually made me laugh out loud.
I must start by saying that I currently wanted to be more knowledgeable about our government and I am getting there but I was far from knowledgeable when I started reading this book. What first attracted me about this book was that it was short but yet a quick read. I easily get side tracked when reading books that have a political nature. Not this one! It keeps you moving along through out history. The second big appeal was that the major documents were posted in the back of the book (which takes up about half of the book) and it was so easy to flip back and forth and better understand what was being said. I agree whole heartedly that if these are not "preserved" as the author states, they "Founders' Key" will be lost.
I reviewed this book for the Thomas Nelson book review program in return for an honest opinion.

No comments:

Post a Comment